Translate

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Welcome to the 'hood, Part I




Who are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neigh-bor-hood? Well, Buddha is in my neighborhood. In less than 5 minutes, I can walk to one of Buddha's many houses (I can only imagine what his property taxes are...yikes). This temple is called Ikegami Honmonji (池上 本門寺). The Buddhist Monk Nichiren founded Honmonji in the mid 13th century, which makes the location even older than the Pulaski Skyway. I didn't think anything was older than the Pulaski Skyway. What is a "skyway" anyhow? Well, the original building was flattened during WWII. The current structure was rebuilt in the early 50's, explaining the "Leave it to Beaver" feel of the interior. As with all temples, this one is accompanied by a 5-story pagoda. Fortunately, it is in its original form, dating from 1607. In all seriousness, it is a wonderfully peaceful place only a stone's throw from my apartment. There is a huge festival called O-Eshiki next week that commemorates Nichiren's death. I'll try to send some pics.
Be well,
Pat

No comments: